• Kelly H

Getting to know the codebase and starting to code!

Updated: Apr 16, 2020

After the first week, each programmer dove into their specific tasks for the greenlight process. Cam, the AI programmer, went straight into figuring out how flocking would work for the game. Michael, the tools programmer, started to create a input/output system in order to save gun data to a file. I started to learn what I would need in order to create gun modularity for the project. Josh, our lead programmer, made sure all the programmers were up to speed with the project as well as started to work on some procedural generation for roads in the game.


For me, these past two weeks have been a lot of trying to understand the gun management blueprints as well as trying to figure out the best way to create a modular gun system. As of right now, I have all base classes for the gun, magazine, and bullet created in the engine. Each of these classes has all of its base variables. From this, future guns can inherit from the base class and then use those functions and variables.


There were a few setbacks to these past two weeks. For one, there was some confusion on what my actual tasks were. I heard from my lead programmer that I was supposed to be doing the base gun class while the lead designer on the team (he is very involved with the gun blueprints) told me that I was actually supposed to be doing the magazine base class. Because of this, it took me a while to actually start the process of creating the modular gun/magazine system. Another issue I had was that the gun system was incredibly detailed and layered. Previously, each gun had been inherited from two other base classes. Because of this, there were many blueprints I had to go through to fully understand what the guns were doing. Another issue i had was not having access to my own Oculus headset. Because of all of this, I was only able to test my code at the end of the week. Once I finally understood most of the code for the current guns, I was able to start creating my own base classes and test them.


For the magazine base class, I needed to check whether the gun that we were attaching would be valid for the magazine type. To do this, I added a box collider to the top of the magazine that would then check whats its colliding with and return that object. The first function I created for this was called CheckAllowedGun which looped through the "allowed gun array" and then either returned true or false depending on if it was compatible. I added some other functions to the gun class as well but since that is still in progress, I want to save showing that code for a later date.


This is what the CheckAllowedGun function looks like


10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Hello! These past couple of weeks and months the team has really been able to shift into gears and pump out amazing systems. We got extremely far in our game and have almost all of our goals in. Howev

This week myself and a couple of others finally started the onboarding process on a game called Cash Force. Cash Force is a high-octane arcade VR shooting game where players take the role of an underc